Monday, July 2, 2012

"5 + 1 Things Twitter Has Taught Me"




I wrote the  post "5 Things Twitter Has Taught Me" (see below) as a self-reflection. But more so in hopes of persuading others to engage in the endless professional possibilities that Twitter and social media offer. I still think it's a decent list of things I've learned. But, this week I need to add another. And, it's perhaps the biggest one. If' you're not a professional development junkie like myself, I'll summarize in one sentence and you can stop reading.

I attended three national conferences (one still in progress) at the same time and from the comfort of my own home (or my son's baseball game, or riding in the car, or in line at the store...). 

For those of you still reading, here is my list:

Through the miracle of the hash tag (#), I "attended" the 20th Annual Model Schools Conference held in Orlando, Florida. (#20thMSC). The International Society for Technology in Education Conference held in San Diego, California (#ISTE12). And, finally the Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development Summer Conference held in St. Louis, Missouri (#ascdsc12).

Here are the highlights of what I learned and am still learning through Twitter and the conference hash tags.
  • Hundreds of conference attendees (in the flesh) tweet their favorite quotes or summarizing comments from key note speakers and presenters.
  • I get the same feeling of anticipation and excitement when everyone is waiting for a keynote speaker to arrive on the stage like Sir Ken Robinson at #iste12. (I said I was a junkie..)
  • Attendees and organizations will tweet links to archived videos of presentations and speakers such as; Dr Robert Marzano, Dr. Heidi Hayes Jacobs, Sir Ken Robinson, Dr. Willard Daggett, Ray McNulty... and more!
  • I linked to, read, and learned about topics including (but definitely not limited to); flipped classrooms, Diigo, problem-based learning, Bring Your Own Technology or Device (BYOT(D), game-based learning, common core standards and strategies for implementation, tablets and apps, and many more I'm sure I'm forgetting to mention.
  • May sound silly, but take my word for it - www.tweetchat.com is great to slow down the "refresh" speed of tweets using a unique hash tag. #iste12 logged nearly 5,000 tweets over the course of the conference.
While all of the things listed before are awesome to add to my "educator tool belt", the most powerful thing of all is the connection to other professionals. Tweeting in and chatting with all of the professionals in attendance online or in person, helped build my network of experts and professional friends. I can't lie and say I wouldn't love the opportunity to meet and work with many of these people in San Diego or Orlando or St. Louis. But, Twitter and the use of conference hash tags was the next best thing. Without a doubt!

Original blog post - 5 Things Twitter Has Taught Me:



1. Professional learning is available when you need it, 24/7.

After hearing Kevin Honeycutt (@kevinhoneycutt), I was convinced I needed a Twitter account. Although I signed up immediately, I didn't really use it for more than an avenue to track celebrity gossip and breaking news. Then, I discovered FlipBoard and began finding legitimate professionals to follow. I rarely forget to eat or sleep, but Twitter  for professional development has caught me wondering why my stomach is growling or I am yawning . Any time, anywhere. I can be reading professional journals from my iphone between innings of my son's ball game! If there's 12-step program for addicted Tweeters, I may need the contact information.

2. Tweet chatting and following hash tags are effective for collaboration.

During the school year, we constantly wish for more time to collaborate with teachers. Various structures and procedures to creatively design collaboration time are put in to place. But, it's never enough. Teachers visit other schools for specific peer observation opportunities and collaboration, but there is only so much in the substitute teacher pool for release time. Setting up a weekly summer tweet chat with our own hash tag (#10TuesTweets) has proven to be an effective way to have professional discussions and learning with each other, but also with others from around the world. And, these discussion can take place without hiring a babysitter, or from the checkout line at the grocery store!

3. Professionals from around the world are ready and willing to help.

Ask and you will receive. I have not found anyone who will not extend themselves to help a fellow colleague. Twitter is a network that gives us no excuse to claim we can't find answers or help from others. I try my best to pay it forward and share every chance I get. I consider my PLN to be a network of "virtual" friends and colleagues.

4. Tweets can be a "link" to unlimited resources in the form of blogs and web resources.


Tweets are a "link" or a window to professional blogs and web-based resources. It never occurred to me that 140 characters could lead to so much information and resources for professional learning. I now have a number of blogs that I follow regularly that I might never have found without my Twitter connections.

5. Social media is not a one-way ticket to disaster, but a gateway to self and organizational improvement.


I, like many parents and educators, lived in fear of social media. No way was anything positive coming as a result of my being involved. My own children forced the issue. So, I began my journey first as a watchdog mom. Little did I know, it would improve me as a professional and energize my passion as an educator. Thanks kids! And thanks to all of my colleagues and friends in my growing professional learning network!


1 comment:

  1. I am excited as you are about the connectedness Twitter provides! I, too, "attended" much of the #ISTE conference, and know we will be able to attend more and more!! My big awakening for how we can be connected, though, was from a much smaller meeting of educators in St. Joseph, MO. Please read this quick blog post from how I became so stoked about being connected - http://geniushour.blogspot.com/2012/06/learning-across-states-in-real-time.html ! I was on cloud 9 in amazement for days after that!

    Thanks for the follow-up post - I enjoyed reading the first one, as well!
    -@JoyKirr

    ReplyDelete